Annually, school districts and county offices of education (COEs) are required to provide an update on the status of a district’s unused sites and are subject to nonuse payments for these sites. The Certification of Unused Sites (Form SAB 423) and the Modification of Unused Site Status (Form SAB 424) are due to the Office of Public School Construction (OPSC). While the deadline was August 2, 2021, the OPSC is still accepting forms, though it urges that the forms be submitted as soon as possible.
As background, school districts are required to report all unused school sites to the State Allocation Board (SAB) on an annual basis:
- For the purposes for which acquired (i.e., active K–12 school)
- To house students for any California Department of Education program operated by a school district that is receiving a state apportionment
To house special education students
- For district administration purposes, including support services
- For a preschool or child care center operated under contract with a school district or COE
- For a community college, if attendance is allowed for high school students in grades 11 and 12